Our History

FullSizeRender.jpg
 
 

It all started when...

Pastor F. Droegemueler came to the Nortonville from St. John Lutheran Church in Porter to serve the settlement of German speaking people. Starting off with four people in 1870, services were held once a month, and on February 12, St. Matthew Lutheran Church was organized in the old Washington School House under the leadership of Rev. Emil Polster.

In 1900 the first structure was erected two miles east and one mile north of Nortonville, and a parsonage was built nine years later. The current property on the corner of Locust and Elm was purchased in 1933 and construction of a new church building was dedicated to the service of our Lord on January 28, 1934.

The current church building began service in 1970 with an addition in 1993. St. Matthew continues to proclaim God's Word to the lost and wandering throughout the Nortonville area.